What We Envision
- A regional history museum open the public, with permanent and temporary exhibits devoted to the history of Haverhill and the surrounding area.
- A carefully chosen and curated collection of historical documents and artifacts, including furniture, textiles, tools, artworks, photographs, and other materials, held in secure and appropriately climate-controlled storage areas.
- Facilities for area residents and outside experts to study materials from the collection by appointment, and for educators to work with students on research and preservation.
- Regional and state-wide partnerships with organizations and individuals involved in historic research and historic preservation.
- A venue for programs on historical topics for area residents.
- A cultural attraction that will bring tourists to the region.
About Pearson Hall
- Constructed in 1816 to house Haverhill Academy (downstairs) and the Grafton County Court (upstairs).
- Over time, the building has also served as a library, village hall, and Masonic meeting place.
- It remained part of Haverhill Academy until the Academy closed.
- In 2011, the New Hampshire Preservation Alliance named it to the Seven to Save list.
- Since 1992, the building has stood vacant. Until now . . .
What's Been Done
- Removal of asbestos.
- Demolition of 1969 connector to neighboring building.
- Replication of original bell tower balustrade.
- Cleaning and repointing of brickwork on three facades.
- Installation of historically appropriate wood doors and Palladian window.
What Needs to Be Done
- Installation of utilities.
- Renovation of interior (see plans).
- Highlights: circular stairway on either side of entrance; curved ceiling in second-floor courtroom; tin ceilings and wainscotting throughout building.
- Construction of rear addition to house elevator and second stairway, and to create new main entrance.
How to Help
Send contributions to:
Haverhill Historical Society
PO Box 25
Haverhill, NH 03765